Thursday, July 22, 2010

Let them eat cake.



I'm determined to have a pretty and more importantly, a tasty cake, but cakes can be very expensive. This was a little surprising because, as George Banks put it in Father of the Bride, "a cake is made of flour and water". The cake estimate is based per slice, that is, the number of guests who will partake. After some research, I've found that the key to a good and reasonably priced cake is simplicity. I'll opt for several simple tiered buttercream cakes, in different flavors. Something like this: 


Cakes are often overdone anyway. Why stick flowers, ribbon, and gaudy decoration all over a prettily iced cake anyway? But some bakers do get the details right. For example, if money were no option I would have one of these...


Photo by Debra McClinton, featured in Real Simple


All buttercream frosting:
Photo from Martha Stewart weddings


Colorful details:
Cake detail and photo from UK baker, Fancy Nancy


Here are some non-traditional cake ideas that I liked:
Photo by Martha Stewart weddings
Monogrammed chocolate torte's for the chocolate lover (perfect winter wedding cake via Snippet & Ink).


Photo by Aaron Landry
These strawberry macaroon cupcakes look delicious! Bonus points for serving something so unusual.



Photo by Martha Stewart weddings
The hearts are appropriate for a wedding theme and I certainly wouldn't mind the extra chocolate cake!

I wanted to buy a candle holder, but the store didn't have one. So I got a cake.  ~Mitch Hedberg

No comments:

Post a Comment