Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Setting priorities before planning.


At the beginning of our wedding planning, my fiance and I discussed and set our big picture priorities. When would we have it? Who would we invite? What did we want it to be like?

Then I found a standard wedding industry checklist (there are more elaborate lists out there) which listed all the things “you need”. Some things, like a wedding license, I will need but many of the things on these lists, like glow sticks for the dance floor, aren’t necessary at all- who really “needs” glow sticks? After perusing the list, I proceeded to cross off everything I would skip entirely, add the things I would like to have, and mark the items that I needed to investigate further/beg for, borrow, or improvise with things I already own.

Here is what my list looks like:
Site rental fee -Free
Caterer -DIM (Do it myself), hiring people to help prepare, serve, and clean-up
Kids Menu
Cake-Ask a friend
Cake knife-borrow
Cake topper-borrow
Groom’s cake
Cold Beverages -buy in bulk
Coffee –buy in bulk
Alcohol –buy in bulk
Tent
Lighting
Tables
Chairs
Staff- hire family friends to help
Table linens, napkins
Silverware
China
Valet Parking
Limousine
Coordinator- Ask a friend
Stemware
DJ or IPOD -still deciding
Place cards
Dance floor
Glow sticks
Candy bar
Centerpieces- DIM
Additional decorations- minimal
Photography -Ask a friend
Boutonnieres -DIM
Favors
Videographer
Wedding band for Groom
Wedding band for Bride –my engagement ring is perfect, no need for a band
Invitations -print myself
Reception cards
Save the dates
RSVP cards –print myself
Map
Postage –for invite only
Personalized address stamp
Church
Priest
Unity candle
Organist -maybe a friend?
Flowers for the Church
Pew decorations
Programs –yes, but cheap, cheap
Flower girl basket
Ring pillow
Dress –from consignment
Alterations- friend helping
Veil -consignment
Shoes –wear some I already own
Jewelry -borrow
Tanning
Bridal bouquet -DIM
Wedding day brunch
Bridal party gifts
Bridal party bouquets -DIM
Thank you cards –Use some I already own
Gifts for parents
Parking
Florist- order flowers in bulk and DIM
Groom’s suit
Marriage certificate
Save the dates
Guest book -use old postcards instead

Added:
Sparklers- discount after 4th of July from a state line stand
Lawn games- that we already own
Lace shrug- from etsy

As my sister pointed out, I have a lot of DIM projects but I think it'll be possible thanks to my wonderful family and friends who are willing to help. There are so many things that I would love to have but a tight budget means letting some things go. This list of priorities keeps me from buying things outside the budget and although I might fall in love with letterpress invitations or a stellar photographer, they're not worth the sacrifice of cutting loved ones off our guest list.



No comments:

Post a Comment